Built in the 1870’s in the gothic style ‘A’ and ‘B’ blocks as they were known and the huge chimeney that stood next to them were a London landmark for 75 years and witnessed many of Doulton’s major accomplishments as well as playing host to many famous visitors from Royalty, to politicians, to latter day celebrities.
A floodlit view of blocks A and B from 1935 celebrating a Royal jubilee.
Doulton vacated these impressive buildings in early 1940, moving to the newly erected Doulton House, then just a few hundred yards along the Albert Embankment. Lying unoccupied and suffering bomb damage during WWII there was little option left than to demolish these impressive buildings in 1951.
A close up of the showroom and main offices block.
On the left is the former main office and showroom building, on the right a factory block and chimeney.
A drawing of the Albert Embankment by Arthur Pearce showing the extent of the Doulton works in 1924. Note the corner building that still stands today.